OTO Online
Mail to TaxOmbud OTO contact OTO Logo
​​​​​Q. What is the O​ffice of the Tax Ombud?​​ A. The Office of the Tax Ombudsman is an institution supporting the Tax Ombud in fulfilling the mandate.​
​Q. What is a Tax Ombud? ​A Tax Ombud is an independant and impartial officer who deals with taxpayer complaints against the South African Revenue Service (SARS).​
​​Q. What is the Office of the Tax Ombud's relationship with SARS? A. The Office of the Tax Ombud is completely independant of SARS.​
Q. What complaints does the Office of the Tax Ombud handle?​ ​A. Service, procedural, or administrative disputes you have with SARS. These include: poor service, bad administration and ignoring taxpayer rights.
Q. What complaints does the Office of the Tax Ombud NOT handle?​ ​A. Legislation or tax policy, general SARS policy or practice, a matter subject to objection and appeal under a Tax Act, or a decision of, proceeding in or matter before the tax court.
Q. When should I make a complaint with the Office of the Tax Ombud?​ ​A. If you are unable to resolve a dispute with SARS and SARS’s Operational Service Escalations and Support.
Q. Are the findings of the Office of the Tax Ombud legally binding?​ ​A. The Tax Ombud’s recommendations are not binding on a taxpayer or SARS, but if not accepted by a taxpayer or SARS, reasons for such decision must be provided to the Tax Ombud within 30 days of notification of the recommendations and may be included by the Tax Ombud in a report to the Minister or the Commissioner under sections 19.
​Q. What do I do if the Tax Ombud cannot solve my problem? ​A. You may make a complaint with the Public Protector.
Q. Should I pay tax while my complaint is being addressed?​ ​A. You should continue to pay the tax amounts that you accept are due to avoid penalties.
Q. Does the Office of the Tax Ombud have offices outside Gauteng?​ ​A. Not at this time, but there will be in the near future.
Q. Who is the current Tax Ombud? ​ ​A. Judge Bernard Makgabo Ngoepe.
Q. How do I make a complaint?​ ​A. You must complete a complaint form which is available here or contact the us by telephone on 0800 662 837, or send a fax to 012 452 5013 or send an e-mail to [email protected]  to obtain a complaint form. Once the complaint form is completed, it can be sent to the us via e-mail, fax, post, or walk-in. If a complaint is being handled by a representative, it must have a signed power of attorney.
Q. Is there a charge involved?​ ​A. No. Taxpayers do not pay anything to the Office of the Tax Ombud. We are a free dispute resolution avenue for all taxpayers.
​Q. What is the turnaround time for my complaint to be resolved? ​A. We strive to resolve complaints within 15 business days of accepting them, and will let you know if the complaint cannot be resolved within this period.
Q. Do I need to set up an appointment to lodge a complaint?​ ​A. No. You can however visit our office during office hours (07h30-16h30). One of our complaints resolution specialists will attend to your complaint. Please bring along all document which are relevant to your complaint
Q. Why must my complaint be put in writing?​ ​A. We need to get certainty of each person's complaint so that there are no misunderstandings between the complainant and ourselves or between SARS and the complainant. We also need to show SARS that we have your permission to act on your behalf. Documents are also required to substantiate your complaint.
Q. I am unable to download the complaints form from your website. What should I do?​ ​A. If you are unable to download our form from the website, you can call our office on 0800 662 837, and we will send a form to you via e-mail, fax, or post.
Q. Can the Tax Ombud tell if I am supposed to get a refund from SARS?​ ​A. No. You need to contact the SARS contact centre on 0800 00 7277.
​Q. Can the Tax Ombud resolve my complaint within 24 hour and why can’t he deal with my complaint urgently? ​A. We strive to resolve complaints within 15 business days of accepting them, and will let you know if the complaint cannot be resolved within this period. The next step will be sending your complaint and supporting documentation to SARS and evaluating SARS’ response and, where we deem appropriate, conduct further investigations of your complaint.
Q. Can I follow up with your office after submitting my complaint form?​ ​A. Yes. You can follow up on you case with our office to find out how your complaint is being handled via telephone, e-mail, fax, post, or walk-in.
Q. Can I report my employer to the Tax Ombud for not submitting my IRP5 to SARS?​ ​A. No. You must make an enquiry with SARS. We only review and address complaints by taxpayers regarding service, as well as procedural or administrative issues relating to their dealings with SARS.
Q. Can I contact the Tax Ombud without engaging SARS?​ ​A. You should contact SARS’ call centre and/or SSMO first. We will need the case number from the SSMO. Only if it is a compelling circumstance should you contact us without going to the SSMO.
Q. When visiting the Tax Ombud offices, do I need to bring identification?​ ​A. Yes. You will have to bring either your South African identity book or new smart card, driver’s license or valid passport.
​Q. Can someone else put a complaint on my behalf? ​A. Yes. But only a registered tax practitioner or representative with a signed power of attorney from you.